You will notice the weather has changed and rain is definitely making itself known to us again. There will continue to be more rain. In order to avoid accidents on the road and getting pulled over by the police, please pay attention to rainy-weather driving tips. Following these can mean the difference between life and death, freedom and incarceration.
- Make sure all lights are working: headlights, tail lights, brake lights, signal lights.
- Make sure windshield wipers are good and working well.
- Check tire treads and get new tires if the mechanic recommends it because good tire treads improve traction.
- Drive slower in the rain and leave more room between you and the car ahead of you.
- Turn on headlights when windshield wipers are in use, even if it is still sunny outside.
- If you notice that you are approaching a puddle, or that you are already hydroplaning, take your foot off the gas but do not step on the brakes. Maintain a firm grip and keepyour steering wheel straight. Once your car glides through the puddle, you will regain traction and contact with the road.
- Beware of other cars around you, as well as pedestrians, motorcyclists, and bicyclists. Though vehicles should have their headlights on and motorcyclists and bicyclists should be wearing bright colors to increase their visibility in muggy weather, they donot always do so.
These are tips that will help avoid road accidents, getting pulled over, getting fined, or worst of all, getting arrested by the cops. Please practice safe and smart driving!