29 Aug How to Deal With Getting Pulled Over By the Cops
Getting pulled over by the police is always, on some level, nerve-racking, whether you know what the reason for getting pulled over is or not.Maybe you are drinking and driving, or maybe you do not know that your taillight is out. You do not want to make a wrong move, but you also do not want to look nervous to the point that you look suspicious. Hopefully these tips will help you out if you get pulled over:
- Pull over in a safe place as soon as possible.
- Turn off your car.
- Turn your inside lights on.
- Keep your hands on the wheel.
- Retrieve your license, registration, and insurance when the officer requests it.
- You can refuse the officer if he or she asks to search your vehicle, but items in plain sight can be used to their advantage; like if they see a bottle of liquor in the passenger seat.
Roll down the window when the officer approaches.
Do not make quick, sudden movements before the officer walks up, even if you are getting your license since reaching into your purse can raise suspicion.
If you end up arrested, remember that you have the right to remain silent and the right to a lawyer; the arresting officer should remind you of that. Once you are booked and arraigned, you may be allowed to bail out of jail.